Notice: The cost for Initial, Regular, Provisional, Renewal and Reinstatement certificates is set to increase by $75. This means that T-I Initial, T-II Professional, Type B, Type C, Type M, etc. will increase from $125 to $200, while the fee for the Retired/Lifetime certificate will go from $165 to $240. This fee increase will go into effect on July 1, 2015.
Fees for duplicate certificates and background checks will remain unchanged.
Application Processing Status
Today's date is 08/30/2015.
Currently, the Teacher Certification Office is completing the first reviews of applications received on 8/7/15.
Today, the Teacher Certification Office is completing the second and final reviews of applications received on 7/15/15.
If your address has changed since you submitted your application, please be sure to change your contact information through the link on the right or by contacting email@example.com.
Responsibilities of Educators Holding Alaskan Certificates
- Adhere to the Alaska Code of Ethics of the Education Profession.
- Notify the Department of Education & Early Development of name and/or any address changes (4AAC 12.415).
- Know your certificate's effective and expiration dates. Your effective date is the date the complete application packet is received by Teacher Education and Certification. (The Department of Education & Early Development does not notify individuals of impending expiration dates.)
- Meet renewal requirements before your renewal date.
- Keep abreast of any changes in certification regulations.
- Notify a school district within 90 days of hire, of any sick leave that you expect to transfer from previous employment. (AS 14.14.107) Sick leave can only be transferred if the teacher's service has been continuous within the Alaska public school system. Continuous service is defined as up to the last day of a school term and beginning within 30 days of the start of the next school term. (4 AAC 15.040(a)(2) & 4 AAC 15.900(2))
- Basic Competency Exam (Teachers only)
- Recommendations/Program Enrollment
- Fingerprint Cards/Employment Verification
- Notarization - word
- Approved Alaska Studies Courses - pdf
- Approved Multicultural Courses - pdf
- Content Area Examinations - pdf
- Information about Renewal/Reinstatement
of Certificates - pdf
- Non-Academic Credit and Continuing Education Units (CEUs) Credits - pdf
- More information on Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for eligible courses - pdf
- Renewal/Reinstatement Application - pdf
(For 5-year or 10-year certificates only)
- Renewal Credit Pre-approval
Request - pdf
(For certificates issued after 9/1/2011)
Teacher Education Programs
- Alaska Directory of Approved Teacher Education Programs - pdf
- For Coursework Completed Outside
the United States - pdf
Teacher Certification Inquiry
How Do I. . .
- Check the certification status of a teacher employed in an Alaska school district? Public Entrance
- View my certification status and requirement information? Applicant Entrance
- Check the certification status and requirement information for my district’s staff? District Entrance - PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT ONLY
Sites of Interest
Alaska Department of Education & Early Development
ATTN: Teacher Certification
801 West 10th Street, Suite 200
P.O. Box 110500
Juneau, AK 99811-0500
Telephone: (907) 465-2831
Fax: (907) 465-2441